“I try to look for affiliate programs that compliment what we do so it’s easy to share about them. It’s a product that we use and we trust, and it just makes sense to share about in the context of what we do. And then, if it offers some sort of recurring revenue, we definitely favor those over things that don’t.”
Want to make some extra money sharing the tools, resources, and products you already love? If so, maybe affiliate marketing is for you. In today’s episode, we’re chatting about what affiliate marketing is, how to get started, and five tips for getting the most out of your affiliate marketing efforts.
Before we get started, a quick correction. I mentioned towards the end of the episode a few templates in our shop that we’ve recently released that might be a good fit or helpful for affiliate marketers. Those are Clifton Beach, which is a template design for bloggers and it has a built-in affiliate shop. Then there’s our Tools and Resources add-on page, which is just a single page to add to your website to promote your favorite tools and resources. Both of those are available for Showit and WordPress. I also mentioned, however, our newest template, Barcelona, and while it’s our biggest template yet, it doesn’t have an affiliate shop in it. Of course, you can always email us to get it customized with one.
Find it Quickly
- 3:50 – What is affiliate marketing?
- 5:45 – How it works and the technology behind it
- 9:15 – Who gets credit for the link during a launch and things you need to know
- 14:39 – Commission structure and payout terms
- 21:11 – Disclosing when you’re an affiliate
- 23:00 – Where to get started with affiliate programs
- 28:30 – Helping someone launch/promote a product
- 31:01 – Tip 1: Take advantage of the business marketing tools
- 32:37 – Tip 2: Identify the most seen posts and pages on your website
- 34:58 – Tip 3: Creating content to promote affiliate products
- 37:31 – Tip 4: Share affiliate related content frequently
- 39:50 – Maximize affiliate marketing efforts
Affiliate marketing is a great way to make money recommending to others the tools and resources that you love. Some people are able to create entire business models based on recommending other people’s products generating tens of thousands of dollars in revenue each month.
Even if you don’t want your primary source of revenue to come from affiliate marketing, it’s a great way to make a few extra dollars each month. We’re not nearly as intentional as we could be about affiliate marketing, and we still make a few thousand dollars each year promoting products we use and enjoy.
Want to see one place we recommend the tools and resources we use and love? Check out our Tools & Resources page. We also have a Tools & Resources template available in the shop.
Resources Mentioned in the Episode
Save it for later…