“I think most people treat a presentation as if it is a lecture. You should actually treat a presentation as if it is a comic book or a movie. What I mean by that, comic book or movie has a story to it. A story has illustrations to it. What most people do, is the slides are either competing with you or they are your script. Presenters who are really doing well, the slides are more like a beautiful backdrop.”
Today I am joined by Speaking Coach Mike Pacchione. Mike has flown around the world teaching people how to give presentations. And he’s worked with some pretty big names companies—as he puts it, while he’s not at liberty to discuss every company he’s worked with, if you have used a computer, phone or search engine today, you’re probably familiar with one of his clients.
I hired Mike to help me get ready for my United 2019 keynote presentation. Although I feel comfortable speaking in front of people, I wanted some help continuing to develop that craft, and I chat a little more about that in these episodes.
This is part 1 of a 2-part episode. This episode was recorded PRIOR to my keynote, and we discuss some general advice for giving better presentations, Mike critiques a past presentation of mine, and, of course, we get to hear a bit of Mike’s story.
The 2nd of this 2-part episode was recorded AFTER my keynote and reflects on my experience working with Mike, and he gives me some feedback on how I did. My hope is that this behind-the-scenes is helpful to you the next time you’re crafting a presentation for a group of people.
If you’re interested in watching the keynote I presented at United, which was titled: The Only Two Questions You Need to Answer to Win Business (and how to answer them on your website), check out the resources below.
Find it Quickly
- 3:27 – How Mike got started
- 8:30 – How and why Mike’s high school needed to change their speech processes
- 10:30 – Who he has helped
- 14:00 – Transitioning to a one-on-one basis
- 17:10 – Typology and Enneagram
- 18:05 – Favorite speakers or speeches
- 23:47 – What makes a presentation striking
- 28:29 – Common mistakes presenters make
- 35:42 – How to use slides
- 41:07 – Struggling to see yourself as the expert and how to handle it
- 44:04 – Content tips
- 47:00 – Delivery tips
- 54:28 – 3 things that Davey needs to focus on for the presentation
- Mike Pacchione on Public Speaking and the Enneagram pt 1.
- Public Speaking and the Enneagram pt. 2
- Donald Miller’s Story Brand “8 Expert Tips That Will Make Your Next Speech Unforgettable”
- Andy Stanley
- Amy Webb’s TED Talk “How I Hacked Online Dating”
- Scott Harrison Charity Water Presentation
- Seth Godin “Your Job is to Make Art”
- Seth Godin “Writers Block”
- Showit United Speech 2018
- Showit United Speech 2019
- The Enneagram and Public Speaking by Mike Pacchione
- 7 Stealth Speaking Tips They Don’t Teach You in Business School by Mike Pacchione
More about Mike Pacchione:
Save it for later…