“When I was a young mom, I kind of had a cycle. If I would give it my all, I would grow really fast and I would feel guilty about the time taking away from my kids, that I would either stop cold turkey or I would sell off the company. It was really just about doing what was right for my family during that time and creating a system for us. Systems changed my life. There wasn’t always balance, but my kids have not known anything differently.”
Jamie is a mom and four, and we dive into chatting about how becoming a mother impacted her business and tips she has for running a business while raising a family. I really enjoyed our conversation, and as I think you’ll hear during the episode, Jamie’s insight led me to do some reflection on fatherhood and business.
Before we get to the episode, if you’re a photographer looking for a community oriented conference or workshop that also provides great education, check out what Evolve has going on. I’ll link to their website in the show notes, but they typically hold conferences and workshops in some pretty awesome places—think Palm Springs and Greece.
Find it Quickly
- 3:37 – Jamie’s background
- 5:50 – Switching to photography and why
- 7:24 – Sales experience and how it helped her photography business
- 11:17 – Evolve: what it is and how it started
- 16:27 – How becoming a mother impacted Jamie’s business journey
- 18:50 – Systems and balance
- 21:49 – Tips for mothers who are running a business
- 26:47 – Tip #1–morning routine
- 28:53 – Tip #2–be flexible
- 33:23 – Tip #3–use a task list effectively
- 37:54 – Tip #4–create systems and automate; ask for help!
- 45:48 – Set goals that are in alignment with your priorities
- 51:10 – What Jamie wished she learned being a creative
- 52:59 – How to not feel alone as a creative
More about Jamie Findlay:
Jamie is a published international wedding and portrait photographer, specializing in weddings and fashion portraiture. She’s also a beach bum, puppy hoarder and mom to 4 wild things. Originally from the West Coast, she loves to travel the world documenting love stories and capturing images that will evoke genuine emotions for generations to come. Her mix of emotion based and editorial style imagery has drawn clients from around the world to her unique style. But her passion for photography extends beyond the lens, and into mentoring other photographers as well. As a business owner and serial entrepreneur for the past 15 years, she brings to the table not only classical education, but a whole lot of hard knock knowledge too, helping entrepreneurs of all types create 6 figure businesses of their dreams. She is also the fearless leader and CEO of Evolve, an international education community for creatives.
Save it for later…