There’s a lot of situations too where a tool is really great, but if it doesn’t process with you, it’s not right. Again, the best tool that you can use is one that you’re actually going to use every day. But if you don’t use it and just have it because you feel like you need, that’s not a great use of your resources or your money or your time.
In this episode of Brands that Book, Dawn from Tech Savvy Creative and I chat about building systems into your business. Dawn provides a really helpful framework for getting started with business tools, that’s especially helpful if tech is something that generally overwhelms you.
We also spend a good amount of time chatting about some of our favorite business tools, which was the part of the conversation I really enjoyed.
Find it Quickly
- 3:15 – Dawn’s story
- 6:20 – How her background impacted her systems and automations
- 7:28 – Advice for choosing different platforms
- 11:15 – Why to invest in a specific system instead of doing it yourself
- 15:21 – Where to get started with systems
- 19:54 – Tip: start with a CRM
- 23:47 – Recommended task management systems
- 24:33 – What Dawn likes about ClickUp over Asana
- 27:04 – Recommendations for websites
- 29:17 – What Zapier is and how to use it
- 32:12 – Dawn’s system for building automation/system for others
- 17 Hats
- Automations 101
More about Dawn
I’m a software engineer turned wedding photographer who fell in love with photography from a technical side. While I might not be developing web apps anymore, I’ve found that my technical experience has been a huge advantage in building my six-figure photography business. I also learned along the way that the majority of creatives are downright terrified of the “tech” in their business. Important things like backups, automations, using tools and software effectively, computer and device maintenance and so much more are simply pushed to the back burner. At Tech Savvy Creative, my mission is to take those not-so-sexy topics and give creatives an easy to understand, step-by-step resource that allows them to confidently tackle their tech!
Aside from running Tech Savvy Creative and shooting 30 weddings a year, I am a Mama to 10 month old Kendall Grace and a Wife to Andrew. I LOVE building my businesses (strong Enneagram 3 here!), but when I’m not working you can find me at Crossfit, searching for the best Margarita in San Antonio, or watching some terrible reality TV!
Save it for later…