“My husband asked me a question that changed everything. He said, “Clearly you’ve never liked the job that you were doing. If money wasn’t an issue, it is an issue, but if money wasn’t an issue, what would you do?” And I had been dabbling in photography, taking pictures of my friends, and I happened to have a photoshoot with a girlfriend of mine that weekend, just for fun. And I literally blurted out that I’d be a photographer.”
Today’s guest is Vanessa Hicks of Vanessa Hicks photography and we’re chatting all about how she built her mastermind program. We cover how she marketed it, launched it, who would benefit from a mastermind, and advice for people considering creating a mastermind or joining a mastermind.
As I mentioned in the episode, Vanessa is the perfect person to talk to in 2020. I believe the first time I heard her speak was at United a few years ago and she was sharing about mental health and entrepreneurship, a topic that’s super relevant for this year. I know she’s recorded other podcasts on that topic so I encourage you all to check those out.
Vanessa is also part of a military family which means she moves relatively frequently. Her latest move was actually this past spring during the height of the pandemic shutdowns. I ask her about how she’s been able to create such a flourishing business throughout her different moves and about this one in particular and I think what she shares is full of wisdom. So yeah, we chat about a lot in this episode and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Find it Quickly
- 3:24 – Vanessa’s 2020
- 9:30 – How Vanessa started her business and handling all the military moves in her business
- 12:55 – Steps Vanessa takes to fill her calendar when she is moving
- 20:33 – Vanessa’s Mastermind and why she started it
- 28:00 – Who can be a part of the mastermind
- 30:26 – The benefits of having a network
- 32:18 – How Vanessa structures it
- 34:37 – Promoting the mastermind
- 41:28 – Advice for someone who is considering joining a mastermind or creating their own
- 44:03 – How Vanessa’s daughter started a business and tips for supporting your children in their entrepreneurial journey
- 53:08 – Favorite “Hamilton” character
- Taking Care of Our Mental Health Podcast Episode
- Vanessa Hicks 12 Week Mastermind
- The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks than Others do in 12 Months by Brian P. Moran
- Vanessa Hicks Education Group
More about Vanessa
Vanessa Hicks is a destination wedding and portrait photographer currently documenting love in San Diego! She is a military spouse and Navy Veteran as well! She truly believes in empowering others, and the importance of documenting her client’s legacy! She has been published worldwide, and has been voted Hawaii’s #1 Wedding Photographer back to back in 2018 and 2019! When she’s doesn’t have a camera in her hand, you can find her with a Starbucks cup in her hand at Disneyland, watching Harry Potter or The Office on reruns, or just lounging on the beach with an umbrella drink in hand!
Save it for later…