“On a sales page, which a services page essentially is a sales page, you want to be a careful sending people away from that, unless they are going to book you. Giving people too many options, like the latest blog post or the gallery or whatever, instead of “here’s what I do, here’s how I do it, and here’s how you can book me,” just muddles everything.”
Copywriter, Jess Jordana, is back for another episode of the Brands that Book podcast! We are continuing our mini-series on branding and website design with tips about writing copy quickly. She was on episode 42, where she shared with us on moving beyond a client profile. I highly recommend going back and listening if you are getting ready to tackle your website copy. We cover quite a few tips about website copy, but we also have an interesting discussion on the about page. Jess shares some great advice on how to decide if something belongs on that page.
One note about this episode: this is the first time we tried recording a live episode. So if the audio quality doesn’t sound like it normally does, it’s because I haven’t quite figured out this whole live recording thing out. But, I am working on it!
Find it Quickly
- 4:22 – Who is Jess?
- 6:22 – How to write effective website copy
- 6:32 – Promptlate—what they are and how to use them
- 8:47 – Where to start with copy and mistakes people make
- 11:47 – Why you shouldn’t write on the website platform
- 13:32 – The various approaches to take on writing each page
- 18:04 – How you know you have written good copy
- 22:46 – How to lead visitors across your website
- 25:00 – About Page: how it is similar to a sales page and mistakes people make
- 31:31 – Quick recap
- 38:20 – Tips for tackling brand voice and what it is
- Promptlate Shop
- Contact Page Mini-Promptlate
- Instagram Bio Mini-Promptlate
- The Palm Shop
- Till Agency
- Uncover Your True Brand Voice Guide
- The Website Bundle (Use code DAVEYANDKRISTA to save)
More about Jessica Jordana:
Jess Jordana is a copywriter (a.k.a. heart-translator) who helps creative business owners turn their passionate mumblings into words people actually “get.” She is a 24/7 iced coffee drinker, and firmly believes if date night isn’t tacos, you’re doing it wrong. She builds her tribe through the motto: “We don’t do shallow friendships”; and she wouldn’t survive a day in business without her cute husband (Presley) and pup (Joey Tribbiani). You can follow her adventures on Instagram @jessjordana.
Website | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Save it for later…